sexta-feira, 29 de junho de 2012

Worth the wait: Former Lincoln standout King lands at Coastal Carolina

Reuben King always felt he was a Division I talent. It just took an extra year for college coaches to see it.

The former Lincoln standout recently verbally committed to Coastal Carolina of the Big South after finishing up a year of prep school at Body of Christ Christian Academy (N.C.).

“I’m real excited about it,” the hard-nosed Brooklyn product said. “I always knew I could play on that level. It was a matter of getting a scholarship and letting everyone else know.”

King is waiting to hear from the NCAA Clearinghouse before signing, he said.

The chiseled 6-foot-3, 220-pound King, a combo guard who began his high school career at Bishop Ford before transferring to Nazareth and then PSAL dynamo Lincoln, chose the Chanticleers over Alcorn State, Loyola of Chicago and FDU. King was attracted to Coastal Carolina for a myriad of reasons, from his comfort level with the coaching staff, the chance to play right away, the bond he developed with current players and his affinity to the school’s location.

Denis Gostev

Former Lincoln guard Reuben King has verbally committed to Coastal Carolina.

Coastal Carolina, he said, began recruiting him late in the year and showed they really wanted him. He waited until just recently to finish up his course work and make sure he was making the right decision.

“They were on me hard, they showed me they really had interest in me, and they wanted me to come in and play,” he said. “I believe it’s a good place for me. It’s not too far from home. I liked the school a lot. I spoke to some of the teachers there. The coaches made me feel like I was at home, the players were cool. When I was there I felt like I belonged.”

He had a big year for Body of Christ, averaging 17 points and seven assists as the point guard in coach Darrell Harris' up-tempo system and leading them to a 25-14 record. Harris raved about King’s toughness, his demand to guard the best player on the opposition and deceptive athleticism for his body type. Harris went with King to workout with Coastal Carolina and the coach said he was one of the team’s best guards that day.

“I’m looking forward to him going down there and doing some big things,” the coach said. “He can only get better.”

King will be joining a successful program at Coast Carolina under head coach Cliff Ellis. The Chanticleers are coming off consecutive NIT berths and Big South regular season crowns. He is the fifth member of Ellis’ incoming recruiting class, joining forwards Michel Enanga, Alioune Diagne, Tristian Curtis and guard Justin Daniel.

King had Division II options out of Lincoln, but saw himself as a Division I player. Body of Christ offered him that opportunity and he took advantage of it.

“It feels good to show I’m a Division I player,” King said. “It’s about getting there an keep up what I was doing.”

zbraziller@nypost.com

Follow @NYP_Sports

Coastal Carolina, Coastal Carolina, Reuben King ebook download, Body of Christ Christian Academy, GostevFormer Lincoln guard Reuben King, Body of Christ, Big South, Darrell Harris, Chanticleers, NCAA Clearinghouse

Nypost.com

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário